This morning I stumbled across Memidex, the free online “dictionary, thesaurus and more.” If you ever need to know the difference between rhinoviruses and arborviruses, or what contiguous means, or a synonym for incipient, Memidex (memidex.com) finds it fast.
What I liked about this online tool was its relentless linking. The definition for arborvirus is teeming with medical words all linked to other definitions.
The unique features of Memidex include:
- detailed information for each sense
- more cross-references
- convenient hierarchical links
- full listing of inflected forms
- no obscure abbreviated labels
- quick search for exact matches
- complete, easily browsable index
- easy-to-link-to URLs
- clear, simple, uncluttered layout
- frequent, recorded updates
- fast average page access time